Serum Collection Procedure for WA, AK, HI, PR
Specimen & Shipping Instructions
Read this page carefully before using the content of this package.
Serum Specimen Collection
Shipping Instructions WA, AK, HI, PR
Food, Inhalant & Mold Antibody Assessment Panels
Candida Antibodies & Antigen Panel
Celiac Antibody Panel
● 2 10-ml Red Top Vacutainer
● 1 10-ml Serum Transfer Tube
● 1 Disposable Transfer Pipette
● 1 Resealable Bag
● 1 Absorbent Pad
● 1 Polyfoam Packer
● 1 Protective Cardboard Box
● 1 Test Requisition Form
● 1 USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box
Celiac & Specific-IgA Panels are not suitable for breast-fed infants.
Total IgE is not available for age less than 10 years.
Important Shipping Instructions
● Clearly print Patient Name (First & Last), Date of Birth & Specimen Collection Date on Serum Transfer Tube and Test Requisition Form.
● Test Requisition Form must also include:
■ Practitioner‘s Signature.
■ Payment Information.
■ Specimen Storage.
■ Requested Test.
US BioTek Laboratories is NOT a Medicare or Medicaid provider.
Our test procedures are not reimbursable by either.
● Missing or incomplete test requestion information will delay processing and extend turn-around time.
● US clients – mail specimen via U.S. Postal Service with the prepaid Priority Mail Box provided. A more immediate delivery is at the cost of the pratitioner.
● For tracking purposes, keep a copy of your tracking number.
● Specimen may be safely shipped at ambient temperature.
Food, Inhalant, Mold & Candida Panels – the lab must receive specimen within 14 days at ambient temperature from date of collection.
Celiac Antibody Panel – the lab must receive specimen within 10 days at ambient temperature from date of collection.
Avoid specimen rejection: label Serum Transfer Tube with Patient Full Name, Date of Birth AND Specimen Collection Date. A specimen tube missing this information will be rejected.
Patient Name on Serum Transfer Tube must exactly match Patient Name on Test Requisition Form. Do not use nicknames or abbreviations.
For IgE Inhalant Panel, patient‘s zip code is required.
Specimen Collection Instructions
● Serum volumes are listed on the Test Requisition Form. An insufficient sample may result in the inability to complete testing for all panels ordered. Notification of the panels that could not be completed is issued with the partial items. Follow collection instructions carefully.
There is a $15 fee for submittal of an unacceptable specimen.
1. Draw the blood utilizing the Red Top Vacutainer tubes provided. 1 fully drawn Red Top Vacutainer OR SST tube will usually yield about 3-4 ml of serum.
2. Allow the blood to clot at ambient temperature for 30 minutes.
3. Centrifuge at 3000 RPM for 15 minutes.
4. With the Disposable Transfer Pipette, transfer serum from the Red Top Vacutainer into Serum Transfer Tube. Do not transfer red blood cells to the Serum Transfer Tube.
5. Secure tightly.
6. Wrap the Serum Transfer Tube with Absorbent Pad and place it into the Resealable Bag provided. Seal contents into Polyfoam Packer and then into the Protective Cardboard Box.
7. Include Test Requisition Form inside the Protective Cardboard Box.
8. Put the Protective Cardboard Box into the USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box. Seal securely.
Hemolyzed, lipemic or icteric sera are rejected.
Diet & Medications
We strongly recommend consulting your healthcare practitioner prior to making any changes to your current medication regimen.
1. It is advised to adhere to usual dietary habits, consuming a variety of foods when possible. Avoid any food that may have potentially resulted in a previous adverse reaction or anaphylaxis. For Celiac Panel, individuals on a gluten-free diet prior to testing may show low or falsely negative serological values.
2. Immunosuppressive drugs such as oral or intranasal corticosteroids (prednisone, beclomethasone, fluticasone, triamcinolone), and topical cortisone suspensions and creams, may affect test results for antibody assessment.